Monday, January 17, 2011

Snow Days

It's been quite a while since I have posted.  The holidays simply got too busy to handle everything I wanted to do.  Plus, after my reminder at Thanksgiving (See Not Finished Yet) I decided my priorities could be adjusted. 

For the first time since 1882, Georgia had snow on Christmas.  It was beautiful and fluffy.  I've been in New York to see "real" snowflakes so I know these were tiny little crystals.  They still coated the world in a layer of pristine white.  It was a reminder that Jesus was born so that He could wash us whiter than snow.  Just a little, "Hey down there, don't forget why you are celebrating."

Needless to say, other adults were complaining about the drive home, slushy messes to come, but all I could think was my memories of wishing and praying for a white Christmas as a child.  I grew up due west of Savannah.  We hardly ever got ice!  That changed recently.

This past week has been an exercise in Northern Style Living.  As I now live due west of Atlanta, we were in the latest snow and ice storm.  I still don't like the thought of driving but I have obligations out of the house starting Tuesday. *sigh*  No school for the whole week for university or grade schools.  I laughed at facebook posts concerning what to do with trapped in the house kids.  I loved posts of kids on cardboard sleds.  I even got the princess to give it a try.  Singular.  I don't think she liked going that fast without a serious braking system.  I assured her she would go no further than the tree line.  She did NOT find that an enjoyable thought.  If only I'd been younger...or at least had another adult home to call the ambulance. :-)

Sad news for the week as well.  My cousin passed away.  She was only 55.  Although she had lost 200lbs, the damage had been done to her liver.  I don't know the name associated with the condition.  I just know that when she began to deteriorate, things went down hill rather quickly.  Thank God she was a believer and we have no doubt that we will meet again.  She left behind two sons.  The second one she raised with her husband but the first she was forced to give up for adoption decades ago.  Unwed mothers were not always so prevalent. My first thought was that now she knew what happened to her little baby boy as well as sadness because if he finally learned her name, it would be followed by his learning of her death.

Well, this seems rather disjointed.  Not such a great start for 2011 in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment