Friday, September 23, 2011

So, How Was Your Day?


So, how was your day?  Mine got a bit interesting.  My mom and aunt would say entertaining.

It started as any other.  I woke up on time.  Got in 5 laps on my walk.  Then did my usual lose-track-of-time thing putting me in a rush to get ready for my husband to pick up our 3 youngest and me.  We were heading to the university bookstore's grand opening.  Our girls want to be cheerleaders for Halloween.  What better costumes than the ones to cheer on the Wolves?

The balloon guy walked up to Princess as we walked past and offered balloons.

I quickly said, "No thank you.  I'm allergic."

He rescinded the balloons and I turned to continue walking.  Before I took two steps he handed 2 bunches of balloons to the 5 year old and the 2 year old.  The two small children that were following behind the big sister and mom.

"Oops.  Didn't realize they were with you."  And the dude vanished, almost literally, into the store.  In his defense, my look may have said murder or at least severe pain.

The two youngest don't really comprehend the allergy issue.  I found out the hard way what reaction I have to latex.  I had to wear gloves day after day and watch as my skin up to my elbows dried, cracked, swelled, and bled on top of the dreadful itching I wouldn’t scratch.  It took nearly four months to heal when I could finally stay away from the stuff. 

Dear hubby caught up and tried to coax the balloons away.  You know daddies and little girls... Gorgeous won with the agreement to release them later.  Even the Princess ended up with a bunch after all.

I spent the next hour, dodging my lovely children as we shopped for the outfits and some things for my upcoming birthday.  Then we walked back to the van where we were supposed to release the pet balloons. 

We had given the Warrior a little too long to ponder this.  "Can we tie them to the outside of the van?"

Hubby and I actually thought that might be a good idea.  The kids would tie them and they would blow away as we drove.  No problem.

We arrived at our business with the balloons still happily bouncing against the van.

We weren't there an hour when I felt a migraine starting.  I didn't have my medicine so I left to go home for it.  On my way, I realized I was clawing my arms.  Argh!  Being inside the bookstore with their balloons, then in our store with them was more than enough to set off a reaction. 

I called dear Daddy and told him I would be taking a shower before I returned and to please have the balloons gone.  He did.  My mother and aunt were laughing out loud as I told them the story.  They love my ingenious children. 

Well, that was my day.  How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment