Saturday, October 23, 2010

Eleven Years Ago-A Love Story

Speaking of the number 11 (see Suspension of Disbelief post) I sent this to my hubby earlier this year.  He liked it so much he posted it to his facebook page.  We got several "happy anniversary" wishes although I actually sent this 3 months before that.  Enjoy.
 
Eleven years ago God sent me to a comic store.

Funny comment I know but true. I was a recent widow. I needed to be out of the house. I decided to let our friend that worked there know my husband had passed. I can’t put my finger on it exactly but I knew I had to do it that weekend. So with no income, I went shopping. I figured I’d buy one comic, tell my friend, and wander back home.

Boy, was I in for it! I hadn’t been in the store long before another fellow walked in. I realized rather quickly that he was the owner and a serious flirt. He was also a true salesman. I do think my Uncle Joseph would have been impressed. Before I knew it, he’d talked me into an entire box of comics despite the fact I knew I had not yet found a new job. I nervously waited as he added it up knowing I would have to put it all back if it exceeded a certain amount. He came in just under the wire.

I wrote my check and he carried the box out. He declared that he owed me dinner since he’d talked me into so many books. I told him to go home to his wife. It took several minutes and my clerk friend to convince me that he really was single. I considered demanding to see the divorce decree. This guy was several years older than I. He owned a business. He also taught school. Anyone that ‘settled’ had to be married…or so I thought. I guess when you get used to the idea that all the good ones are taken, it can be hard to see the one standing in front of you.

We went to an Italian restaurant. We had wonderful conversation and two terrible cups of coffee. I had had no intention of meeting someone that weekend. I would never have dreamed that I would meet my soul mate two months following the death of my husband.

It’s been eleven years now. We’ve had five beautiful children to love and raise. We’ve been passionate. We’ve had fights. We’ve been indifferent to each other. We’ve been grateful for one another. We’ve been mad. We’ve been happy. We’ve driven each other crazy in good ways and bad. Though it all we’ve been together. I love him with an absoluteness that only comes with the knowledge that God chose this man for me. God ordered my steps that day as he had the twenty plus years before. It’s staggering to look at all the choices big and small that led to that day and time.

Honey, I love you today more than yesterday. Tomorrow I will love you more than today. You are my one and only. I miss you desperately when we are apart. I want you ever closer to me when we are together. Any regrets I have in life, I would not change because it might take me away from that comic store that night and down a path where I might have missed you. I do believe that would not be a life as fulfilling, blessed, and happy as the one I lead.

Eleven years ago, God sent me to a comic store and I’ve been thanking God ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment