Saturday, October 23, 2010

Suspension of Disbelief

Ever heard that term?  It's a literary term meaning that, for just a little while, you pretend anything can happen.  You choose to suspend your logic in order to enjoy a book or movie to it's fullest.  Of course the dude in the cape can neither fly nor was the sole survivor of an alien planet.  But what fun would it be if you didn't choose to believe he was zipping around just out of your sight?

There was a post on facebook about how October had 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays and that it only happened once every 823 years.  I wonder who posted it first and why they chose such an odd number.  I guess it could be curiousity to see how many would repost it.  Stating that it happened every 11 years wasn't nearly as much fun.  Now, I didn't know it happened every eleven years, just that 823 seemed unlikely.  My hubby has a BS in physics.  For some reason, he had as fun trivia in his head that the calendar repeats every 10 or 15 years.  We checked 13 first and worked our way back. 

I reposted the comment because this October marked my 35th year and I have my 5 blessings to celebrate with.  As we looked at the fact that it did occur every 11 years, I realized that it coincided with some major events.  1977: first snow I ever saw (according to the pictures).  1988: my hubby graduated.  1999: year we married.  2021: my eldest will be 21.  Cool, huh?  I wonder if in 2065, when I am 90, I'll get to write that my 5 kids have given me 55 grand and great-grand and great-great-grandchildren.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment